08 Dec Home Maintenance Methods to Keep Your HVAC System Happy
Residents of Frederick live with drastically varying weather. Winters can be icy, summers offer blistering heat, and autumn and spring swing from one extreme to the other. Here is some home maintenance advice that will help keep your family comfortable all year long:
1. Gutters be placed around the roof to collect rain and snow, redirecting water away from the foundation, preventing cracks. Every fall, have your gutters and spouts cleaned, inspected and repaired. Tighten their brackets so they will support the weight of snow without breaking.
2. A watertight roof is critical to protecting your home. Leaky roofs will cause expensive damage to the wiring, plumbing and furnace. Be wise and include a roof inspection and repair in yourannual home maintenance.
3. During the annual service, ask your HVAC technician to inspect the outside of your home. Cracks in the house exterior can drive up heat expenses and cause icy drafts. Inspect window frames, doors and places where wiring and plumbing enter the home. Also, take time to examine the foundation of your home. Fissures let water drain into your basement that can cause structural damage and ruin your possessions. The spaces should be caulked before winter.
4. The furnace and ductwork also need annual servicing. The technician ensure all runs smoothly, saving you from possible expensive emergency calls for help in the winter. The system will work better and cleaning out the ductwork will improve the quality of your indoor air. Dust and other debris can accumulate while not being used.
5. The air filters should be changed every month. Fall visits from your HVAC company are a great time for a technician to change them and check to make sure everything is working the way it should. If you have allergies in your family, also consider a higher grade filter to keep your air as clean as possible.
Call us at Airtron Frederick today and we’ll help you get your home ready for the winter!